If a loved one has a condition which means they are not able to manage their own financial affairs or make decisions for themselves, you can support them by taking on this kind of responsibility for them. If you are granted Power of Attorney, you can act on someone else's behalf. If you are appointed someone's Deputy by the Court of Protection, you can make decisions on their behalf.

Here are some factsheets about the process and how to apply:

You can also apply to become an Appointee to manage DWP payments without Power of Attorney:

At The Brain Charity we can recommend solicitors who can provide specialist legal advice.

Help For Carers