We have put together a list of links to other organisations providing for disabled people who are living at home, including making adaptations to your own home. Updated May 2018.
- The charity People Hub can provide you with help and advice about getting the most from the NHS Personal Health Budget scheme, which will give people with long-term health conditions and disabilities more choice and control over the money spent on meeting their health and wellbeing needs.
There is a huge range of living aids and equipment available that can help people with disabilities to remain independent in their own home. Below are a list of organisations and websites with information on what is available:
- Assistance Dogs
Directory of assistance dogs organisations.
- BT Including You (formerly BT Age & Disability Action)
Information for people who need extra help with the telephone and Internet.
- Caudwell Children
Support for people with disabilities up to age 19.
- Daisy Inclusive UK
Disability awareness and inclusive sports charity
- Disabled Living
A registered charity that helps people with disabilities to enjoy greater independence.
- Disability Rights UK (formerly National Centre for Independent Living)
A national disability organisation led by disabled people, promoting 'meaningful' independent living for disabled people, as well as providing support for carers
Provides information, support, and services to people with a brain injury, their families and carers.
The MedicAlert Foundation is a registered charity that combines a database of members' medical information with medical ID jewellery, together these support medical authorities in the event of an emergency.
A charity that works in partnership with people with a learning disability, and its services support people to live life as they choose. Provides housing support that meets people's specific needs.
- Mobility & Sickness Information Service
Charity helping improve the lifestyle and wellbeing of disabled people and their carers
- RoSPA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
A registered charity providing Health and Safety Training courses, and Accident Prevention advice.
Personal safety devices for use at home
- United Kingdom Homecare Association
Find a homecare agency - find contact details for homecare agencies that belong to UKHCA
Information for people considering adapting their house to improve their independence and ability to remain in their own home:
- Age U.K. (formerly Age Concern and Help The Aged)
Information about housing options and where to find out more.
- Alzheimer's Society
Information about living at home, and home adaptations.
- Care and Repair (England)
Charity providing information, advice, support and practical help for older people who are living in poor or 'unsuitable housing and/or considering options for 'moving on'.
- Centre for Accessible Environments
A registered charity and the leading authority and resource in the UK on inclusive design and access to the built environment for disabled and older people. CAE also provides access audits to inspect properties.
- Make tasks easier around the house (Age U.K.)
Adapting your home.
- Housing Care
A charity-run site providing free information and advice on elderly care.
- National Register of Access Consultants (part of the Centre for Accessible Environments)
An independent register of accredited Access Auditors and Access Consultants who meet professional standards. It is a UK-wide accreditation service for individuals who undertake access auditing and access consultancy.
- Rica (part of the Research Institute for Consumer Affairs)
Information about 'inclusive design' for as many people as possible.
- RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind)
Advice on how to make life at home easier and more comfortable.
- RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)
RosPA aims to prevent accidents in the home and garden through campaigning for change, and the provision of resources to help inform and educate.